The Fashion Files: In Love With Leopard (A How-To On The Trend)
It’s no big secret that I love leopard print… I wear at least 1 leopard print item daily. I’ve had people come up to me saying that they wish they could wear leopard print, but are not sure how or don’t feel confident doing so.
If you fall into that group, I’m here to give you some tips on how to rock leopard print with confidence. If you’re a fellow leopard lover, then I’ll hopefully help you discover more items so you can get your fix.
If you’re nervous about stepping into the world of leopard, start small! Just go for a pop of print. I recommend getting some cute accessories; they will give you a hint of fierceness.
- Elie Tahari Women’s Leopard Round Sunglasses • Elie Tahari • $49.97
- Guess Gone Wild Animal Print Heart Necklace • GUESS • $30
- Leopard Haircalf Skinny Belt • The Limited • $19.97
- Leopard Clutch • $89.99
- GUESS Fringed Chevron Pendant • GUESS • $29.99
- UGG® Kammi Leopard Print Calf Hair Flats • UGG • $120
- BONUS: If you’re not quite ready to invest in accessories, have some temporary fun with your nails! I recommend Sally Hansen Salon Effects Nail Polish Strips in Cat Call.
One piece at a time!
Congratulations! You’ve made it to the second level. The most important thing to remember as you incorporate more and large pieces into your wardrobe is to wear only one piece of leopard print at a time. Anything else and you’re just being extra… and not in a good way. Less is more!
- ASOS Prom Skirt in Leopard Print with Paperbag Waist • Asos • $97
- MICHAEL Michael Kors Leopard-Print Pullover Sweater, Khaki • MICHAEL Michael Kors • $51.75
- Printed Pencil Pants • The Limited • $39.97
- Torn by Ronny Kobo Ruched Leopard Print Dress • Torn By Ronny Kobo • $49
- Shabby Apple Park and Follies Skirt • Shabby Apple • $31.80
- Silk-Blend Fleet Leopard Print Shirt • Rag & Bone • $59.99
We’re venturing into super brave territory now! If you plan to wear leopard in a business setting, please keep in mind to tone it down. Heels and dresses are fine, but please keep heels to 3 inches and under. Dresses should not be skin tight and skin baring. Same goes with pants and skirts.
Whew! Now that I’ve gotten that out of the way… these styles are more appropriate for after work and after hours.
- Maidenform Comfort Devotion Plunge Pushup Bra – 9442 • Maidenform • $42
- DUNE Aiyana leopard-print court shoes • Dune • $85
- Alice + Olivia Leopard Print Mini Dress • Alice + Olivia • $75
* I’m using leopard and cheetah interchangeably since it is the same print family.